Friday 13 February 2009

Thoughts for reflection . . . (Fear God)

How much of the fear of God is present in my life?

The Scriptures describe the fear of the Lord as the beginning of wisdom and knowledge. True wisdom in the heart of man finds it's origins in the fear of the Lord. The presence or absence, and the degree of the fear of the Lord in my life will be revealed by how I live. Do I highly esteem God, greatly revere Him and honour Him, walking humbly before Him? Do I tremble at His Word, esteeming that same Word more than my necessary food?
[Ps111.10, Prov1.7, 9.10, Prov8.13, Mic6.8, Is66.2, Job23.12]

The Proverbs declare that by the fear of the Lord men depart from evil, and the fear of the Lord is to hate evil. What is my attitude to the evil around me that can be found in the media, entertainment world and society in which I live? Do I tolerate it? or shun it and exclude it from my life?
[Prov8.13, 16.6]

The working out of the Christian's life, a life lived out of love for God, must be in the context of fearing God: We are to be perfecting holiness in the fear of God, submitting ourselves one to another in the fear of God, and through grace serving God acceptably in reverance and godly fear.
[Phil2.12, 2Cor7.1, Eph5.21, Heb12.28]

The fear of the Lord is a serious matter. For those who walk in this fear, it is a fountain of life and there are abundant promises.
[Prov14.27]

As I walk in the fear of God:
- the Lord's secret is with me
- great goodness is laid up for me
- the Lord's eye is upon me
- the angel of the Lord camps around me
- I will have no want/need
- God will be a banner to me
- His salvation is near to me
- His mercy is toward me, as high as the heavens above the earth
- the Lord pities (has compassion on) me
- the Lord will bless me, fulfil my desire and takes pleasure in me.
- my days will be prolonged
- I will have strong confidence and assurance
[Ps25.14, Ps31.19, Ps33.18, Ps34.7, Ps34.9, Ps60.4
Ps85.9, Ps103.11, Ps103.13
Ps115.13, Ps145.19, Ps147.11, Prov10.27, 14.26]

May my heart be united to fear the name of the Lord, and be ever learning what it means to fear Him
[Ps86.11, Ps34.11-14]


- sent from Palm T|T3

No comments: