Tuesday 9 September 2008

Thoughts for reflection . . . (Conscience)

How sensitive is my conscience to the promptings of the Holy Spirit? How effectively is my conscience influencing my pursuit of holiness (Heb 12.14)?

The conscience should be equivalent to a litmus paper test that operates alongside all that we say, do and think, aligning us to the will of God. However, the Scriptures show us that the conscience is subject to external influence and can be corrupted, defiled and seared (1Tim4.2, Tit1.15). Our conscience therefore is only as good a rule as the plumbline against which it is aligned and our response to it's operation in our life. As believers therefore it's important how our conscience is trained and exercised.

In Rom 2.15 we see that our conscience works alongside the heart and operates in the realm of our thoughts. In Heb 4.12 the Word of God is spoken of as a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart ('discern' here in the original Greek means to be able to decide, critical, skilled in judging). The level of the sensitivity of my conscience to the Lord as well as what will be acceptable or unacceptable to me as a believer in walking in godliness and holiness will therefore be directly influenced by the measure of the presence or absence of the Word of God operating in my life and my willingness to be changed by it.

Am I soaking myself in God's Word? Am I a positive responder to God's Word? Is the still small voice of the Holy Spirit sufficient for me to take action? Do I allow other influences into my life and my activities that will harden my conscience, that will dull my ability to discern between good and evil (Heb 5.14)?

May my testimony be that of the Apostle Paul who stated in Acts 24.16 "herein do I exercise myself (Grk: exert all one's diligence, study, endeavour, strive), to have always a conscience void of offense toward God, and toward men".


- sent from Palm T|T3

No comments: