Tuesday 23 September 2008

Thoughts for reflection . . . (Unshakeable)

In the midst of a world where there is so much turmoil, how do I remain unshakeable in my resolve as a follower of Christ, unaffected by whatever situations confront me?

The apostle Paul says, 'Therefore .. be ye stedfast, unmoveable, always abounding in the work of the Lord.' (1Cor15.58) How do I remain unmovable? The 'therefore' at the beginning of the statement points to the previous verse where he says, 'Thanks be to God who giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ' (v57). It is from the basis of the victory we have in Christ that we can attain a position where we are unmoveable in our faith. How is this practically worked out as I face what may be extreme difficulties or challenges in my daily life?

As with so much of my life in Christ the key is my heart condition. The psalmist writes in Ps 112.7-8 speaking of a good man, 'He shall not be afraid of evil tidings: his heart is fixed, trusting in the Lord. His heart is established, he shall not be afraid . . .'

The Hebrew word translated 'fixed' literally means 'to set up, to make firm, to establish, to prepare'. It speaks of actions that have been completed resulting in a condition of steadfastness.

The way in which I will not just survive but overcome in all my circumstances is preparing my heart beforehand, so that when those situations arise 'the evil tidings' will bring no fear or dread because the sound condition my heart is already in, planted firmly in God's promises, and faith in Him.

Our heart is also likened to soil itself by the Lord (Matt 13.3-9, 18-23). It will bear fruit according to how it is cultivated. The focus of our heart preparation should always be to know God more and move into a deeper level of trust and relationship with Him. As such we should be vigilent in keeping our heart free from all that would hinder knowing Him.

As well as preparing the soil of our heart we must be continually sowing the Word into our heart (Ps1.2-3, Josh 1.8). The presence of God's Word is a climate for faith (Rom 10.17), which itself is a shield that will protect against all the fiery darts of the enemy (Eph 6.16).

King David said in Psalm 16.8 'I have set the Lord always before me: because He is at my right hand, I shall not be moved. Therefore my heart is glad. . .'

Every day I need to be 'setting the Lord before me', that is, bringing God into every area of my life. If God is before me then my focus is on Him and not on the size of the situations I face.

May I be perpetually preparing my heart to walk in that level of knowing God that I will never be shaken but instead be resolute and determined, ultimately experiencing God's peace amidst every trial.


- sent from Palm T|T3

No comments: