Thursday 25 September 2008

Thoughts for reflection . . . (pathway)

Our life as believers is a pathway which the Lord describes as a narrow way (Matt 7.14). Heb 12:13 says 'And make straight paths for your feet, lest that which is lame be turned out of the way; but let it rather be healed.'

In that narrow way what sort of ground am I preparing for my feet to walk on?

We have a much greater influence on the path we tread than it may immediately seem when looking at the circumstances we face. This Scripture in Heb 12.13 indicates we can make our paths straight, which also means we can do the opposite!

One of the greatest influences on the path we lay down for ourselves is our tongue. In James 3.6 we see the tongue 'sets on fire the course of life'(NASB). Our words will either smooth out and straighten the road ahead, or will have the effect of dropping rocks and boulders in front of us, causing risk of stumbling, falling and injury. For example, in a moment of heightened emotion in a relationship such as in a family or at work my words can stoke the fire of argument and contention or can bring a calming effect such as described in Proverbs 15.1 where 'A soft answer turneth away wrath.'

Am I conscious of the power of my words and their influence on what I'm going through? Am I cautious in how I speak and what I contribute to conversations?

May I live by James 1.19, so that I am 'swift to hear': 'listening' carefully to the situation before me being attentive to the voice of the Holy Spirit as He directs me. 'Slow to speak': avoiding hasty words of reaction but instead taking time to ponder my responses and words. 'Slow to anger': Giving room for God's peace to stay ruling and umpiring my heart in whatever situation I am facing.


- sent from Palm T|T3

No comments: