Sunday 12 October 2008

Thoughts for reflection . . . (Friend or Foe?)

A very sobering Scripture in James 4.4 declares, 'do you not know that the friendship of the world is hostility toward God? whosoever therefore wishes to be a friend of the world makes himself an enemy of God.' (ASV)

How much of my life is aligned to the world and it's ways of thinking, behaving and talking? How important to me is the opinion of my peers and those with whom I rub shoulders with in the world through my job, friendships or other activities?

In 1John2.15 the Scripture commands, 'love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him.'

If I look carefully into my life are there traces of love for this world (age) and the pleasures it makes available? This can be measured by asking myself - What things do I get excited about? When I have 'free' time what would be the top five activities that I would give myself to? What do I most talk about when around others?

Jesus said '.. that which is highly esteemed among men is abomination in the sight of God.' (Luke16.15)

May I regularly be checking my value system to make sure that it is always aligned with God's estimation of things. May I not allow the glitter and seduction of the world to corrupt my perspective and draw me into a position where I am setting myself in opposition to God through my desires, actions and conversation.

- sent from Palm T|T3

No comments: