Sunday 26 October 2008

Thoughts for reflection . . . (Thanksgiving)

We have so much to thank God for! (Ps40.5) Thanksgiving is an outward expression of gratitude, and gratitude cannot help but arise when there is a recognition in our hearts and minds of the goodness that God has shown us, and continues to show us with every breath we take.

How much do I meditate on God's goodness? How much do I turn my focus to all that God has done, not just for me but those I know who are my family in Christ? When I look at my life can I describe myself as a thankful person? Is that how others see me? Throughout each day does the Lord hear thanksgiving pour forth from me, both in the small things of life as well as the large and significant happenings?

Thanksgiving is very much linked to the perspective we have about ourselves, our circumstances and life itself. If we have a continuing revelation of our unworthiness before the Almighty God, how we deserve only condemnation and eternal judgment (Rom6.21-23), and yet we have received acquital (Rom4.7-8, Col2.13-14), the forgiveness of sins (Eph1.7), deliverance from it's power (Rom6.6-7,14), and have been made heirs of God and joint heirs with Christ (Rom 8.17), by His grace (Eph2.1-8) by the shed blood of Jesus (1Pet1.18-19, Eph2.13), how can our hearts not respond in gratitude and thanksgiving? How can we not every day be thankful that we have been chosen and brought into relationship with the awesome, all powerful, all wise God?

Our thanksgiving should be in all circumstances (Eph5.20, 1Thess5.18), in all that we do (Col3.17) and a characteristic of our prayer (Phil4.6-7, Col 4.2, Ps100.4).

Thanksgiving is a natural by-product of faith. It's presence, or lack of, in our lives is a reflection of what we really believe and are believing and the strength of that conviction. In 1Pet1.8-9 the Scriptures declare, 'Whom having not seen, ye love; in Whom, though now ye see Him not, yet believing, ye rejoice with joy unspeakable and full of glory: Receiving the end (outcome) of your faith even the salvation of your souls.'

In all that comes my way, may I be 'yet believing' and as such have that thankfulness and joy as a characteristic of my life. May the awesome magnitude of my redemption affect my heart every day and cause my lifesong to be one of thanksgiving.


- sent from Palm T|T3

No comments: