Wednesday 5 November 2008

Thoughts for reflection . . . (Called)

One of the wondrous truths of the Gospel is that God has called us (Rom1.6, Rom9.24, 1Cor1.9 etc.). He has specifically chosen and called us out of the darkness of this world (1Pet2.9).

Being called implies a destiny, a divine purpose behind that calling. The Scriptures declare that we have been called to God's eternal glory (1Pet5.10), to the obtaining of the glory of the Lord Jesus (2Thess2.14), to glory and virtue (2Pet1.3), to eternal life (1Tim6.12). To a glory which the Apostle Paul indicates will so completely outweigh and outshine the sufferings we may endure in this life that those sufferings can't even be compared to it (Rom8.18). A high calling (Phil 3.14).

Do I fully appreciate the significance of being called by the Almighty Creator God? Do I have a revelation of what I am called to inherit and am I walking worthy of that calling? (Eph4.1, 1Thess2.12) Have I allowed the influence of that calling to 'spoil' me for this world (age), so that it's attractions, temptations and ways (that are so contrary to God's ways) no longer find a response or pull in my heart? Am I continually choosing the pathway of holiness, recognising it is the only way to see the Lord (Heb12.14) and is integral to that calling (1Thess4.7)?

I need to see myself as marked out, set apart to an incredible eternal future, and consequently live in a manner that befits the kingdom of which God has now made me a part (Col1.13). and the change of citizenship that has taken place (Phil3.20 ASV).


- sent from Palm T|T3

No comments: