Friday 28 November 2008

Thoughts for reflection . . . (Voices)

There are many voices in the world bidding for our attention. Voices that are seeking to influence our opinions, and affect how we spend our time, our money and our energy - am I listening to them? Is the compass of my life being affected by what this world is 'saying' or does it remain true to the voice of the Lord calling me onward into His purposes?

I must learn how to filter out the voices of this world, and fine tune my hearing to the voice of the One who deserves my undivided attention.

Amidst the noise of the world there is a gentle sound of stillness of the Lord's voice (1Kings19.12 Heb.). It takes a quietening of ourselves from the raging ocean waves around us in order to listen to Him (Ps46.10a). Listening for His direction like the word He promised Israel would hear (Is30.21). Listening for the guidance of the Holy Spirit in our daily walk (John16.13).

The Lord describes our relationship with Him as sheep with the Shepherd, and says that His sheep hear and know His voice (John10.3-5). Am I recognising the Great Shepherd's voice in my daily life?

We also see on a number of occasions in the Gospels Jesus saying, 'He that has ears to hear, let him hear' (e.g. Matt11.15, 13.9, Mark7.16) and to the Churches in Revelation He repeats, 'He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says . . .' He also warns in Mark4.24, 'Take heed what ye hear.' How important it is that my ears are open and attentive to what my Saviour is saying.

May God grant me the discernment to recognise His voice amidst the many others, the wisdom to apply the truths He reveals and the grace to remain faithful to all He says.


- sent from Palm T|T3

No comments: