Monday 13 April 2009

Thoughts for reflection . . . (Desire)

Amidst the clamour of the world and activities of living, what is my true heart's desire in life?

The psalmist declares, 'whom have I in heaven but Thee? and there is none upon earth that I desire beside Thee.' Can I in truth make that same statement? Is God totally the focus of the desire of my life? Are all my ways filtered by my love for Him? Am I consumed with a desire to know God?
[Ps73.25, Phil3.7-11]

A singleness of desire toward God will be seen in my seeking to bring Him glory and honour in all I do. It will be seen in the shunning of all sin and evil, that in all my ways I may bring pleasure to the Lord. It will be known by the purity and nature of my speech, conscious of the ever abiding presence of God and out of a desire to not grieve the Spirit of God.
[1Cor10.31, 1Thess5.22, Eph4.29-32]

The Psalmist again says, 'One thing have I desired of the Lord, that will I seek after; that I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life, to behold the beauty of the Lord . . .'
[Ps27.4]

Such a desire will find it's root in a revelation of who God is and all that He has done for us. None can compare to our God, to His awesomeness, His majesty, power, wisdom and love. The essence of eternal life is knowing God. What we will spend eternity discovering of the wonders of God should start now and should be the magnet that guides the compass of our life.
[Is40.18,25-26, 1Tim1.17, John17.3]

Though my desire today may fall short of where it could be, may my heart cry be that my desire for Him may burn stronger. May I make that decision to turn the focus of my life away from the temporal things of this world that are all passing away. Instead to steer the rudder of the vessel of my life in the direction of deeper devotion and loyalty to the Living God, the only One Who deserves nothing less than my all.

No comments: