Thursday 2 April 2009

Thoughts for reflection . . . (Diet and Exercise Part 1)

What am I feeding on?

Just as our natural diet affects our physical frame and strength, so spiritually the diet I feed my life on with what I see, hear and do, will directly impact the health and strength of my spirit and soul before God.

God's Word is spoken of in terms of milk and food, and consequently our nourishment and health spiritually necessitates the appropriate use and application of God's Word in our lives.
[Matt4.4, Heb5.12-13, 1Pet2.2, 1Cor3.2, 1John2.14]]

But the presence of God's Word in my life alone does not guarantee a healthy spiritual condition. The world and age within which we live furnishes a table before us which we can easily become partakers of, but which is laced with deadly poison. To be healthy requires taking sufficient quantities of good food but also excluding and avoiding that which would poison and damage our health.

Am I aware of the world's contaminants that may be part of my daily life? Those things which I listen to or watch which promote the ways and thinking of the world as opposed to God's ways. Those things which will deaden my senses and conscience to sin and weaken my pursuit of holiness. Those activities which will blunt the edge of my spiritual alertness and usefulness to God. That which would draw my affection toward this world instead of the devotion and affection that God alone deserves.
[1John2.15-16]

May I be alert to the impact of the world's menu on my spiritual life and determine to feed only on that which will quicken me in my walk with God, provide strength to accomplish all He has prepared for me to do by His grace and ready me for the Lord's return.

No comments: