Sunday 5 April 2009

Thoughts for reflection . . . (Diet and Exercise - Part 2)

Just as the correct 'diet' is needed for us to remain spiritually healthy, so is there a need for exercise and training that we may be equipped and prepared for all that we pass through in our lives in our walk with God.

Exercise spiritually speaking can be seen as putting to use that which we receive from God; living out in obedience what we feed on in God's Word; practically applying the truths of Scripture into every avenue of life.

The apostle Paul speaks of exercising himself to always have a conscience void of offence toward God and man, of exercising unto godliness, and the writer of the book of Hebrews speaks of those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern between good and evil. All these statements imply proactivity on the part of the believer, action rather than passivity, a progression rather than stagnation.
[KJV: Acts24.16, 1Tim4.7, Heb5.14]

Am I applying God's Word in my daily living? Is the daily bread I receive having a transforming effect in my being the person God has called me to be, and also in my doing of His will in my life? Is my faith being exercised, showing that it is alive and well?
[Jam2.14-26]

We should see our lives as a training ground and the experiences we face as opportunities for God's Word to be active in us and for us to know God in an ever greater way in all we do.

May I not become lethargic as a follower of Christ, but may my life be energised by the working of the Holy Spirit in me: that my life may not be in words only but in the practical living out of the truth through the power of God..

No comments: